For all those FRIENDS of NCSS Community members in DC. Two events are scheduled for Saturday, December 3, 2016.
Our exhibit in the Communities Showcase will take place in the Poster Session area of the Exhibit hall from 11:45-1:15. Please stop by the table, identify yourself, and share some thoughts with conference attendees about ways to increase our membership numbers and especially support our first time conference attendees and the 50 newcomers who received a scholarship to attend the conference.
Our annual business meeting will take place in the Woodley Park Room at the Mariott Marquis from 3:50 - 4:50.
My proposed agenda follows:
Friends of NCSS Community Meeting
Service, Advocacy, Support
Saturday, December 3, 2016
Marriott Marquis, Woodley Park Room
Welcome and Introductions
Vision / Mission Statement
First Timers Scholarship program update
Amounts raised and number of attendees – Gayle Theiman
Special programming options for First Timers in San Francisco
Looking ahead to the 97th Annual NCSS Conference
San Francisco, CA November 17-19, 2017
Moscone West Headquarters
Hotels: InterContinental San Francisco and
San Francisco Marriott Marquis
NOLA 2015 report
Organizing for 2017 events
Program opportunities – Speakers
Use of the Communities Blog
Other social media options
For information contact Rozella Clyde 917-355-4451
Please also encourage attendees to share their questions and concerns in the SUGGESTION BOXES located on the 4 sides of the central kiosk in the registration area.
Friends of NCSS Community Mission Statement
Purpose: To provide avenues and opportunities for friends of NCSS to support the organization in its mission of providing leadership, service, and support for all social studies educators.
Membership: We welcome any NCSS member who is interested in actively supporting NCSS as a volunteer and advocate. This includes past and present board members, committee members, conference presenters, active and retired educators, and pre-service teachers.
Activities: Friends of NCSS will support the NCSS Board of Directors, Staff, standing committee, and fellow members as requested in a variety of ways depending on their time and talents. The following list suggests just some possibilities.
Before the annual meeting:
- Recruit colleagues to submit proposals
- Serve as a proposal reviewer
- Join local arrangement committees
- Promote conference attendance
- Support the conference scholarship program
- Help solicit sponsorship of conference events
At the annual meeting:
- Work as traffic directors during busy times
- Assist with registration
- Mentor first timers at the First-Timers breakfast
- Collect tickets at ticketed events
- Meet and greet conference speakers
- Include “singles” in social events
- Assist international visitors as “conference buddies”
- Serve as facilitators
- Act as trouble-shooters
- Baby-sit booths when exhibitors need breaks
- Thank exhibitors for attending
Throughout the year:
- Advocate for social studies education
- Help staff an NCSS booth at your state or local conference
- Help the nominations committee identify promising candidates
- Build bridges between NCSS and other organizations
- Promote membership in NCSS in public and private schools
- Assist the Board of Directors and NCSS staff as requested on special projects
- Support the fiscal health of NCSS by such means as donations, grants, and bequests
Meetings: Friends of NCSS will meet once a year during the annual meeting to review past activities and consider new ways to serve NCSS. We will communicate throughout the year through the NCSS Communities Website.
See you tomorrow!